Dr. Barton Goldsmith
~ author of '100 Ways to Overcome Shyness', he is a multi-award-winning psychotherapist, syndicated columnist, author, and former NPR radio host, a keynote speaker and a top blogger for Psychology Today. He was named by Cosmopolitan as one of America's top therapists and honored by several professional associations. In this podcast, Dr.Barton tells you how to reclaim your life from shyness.
Today we are talking about tackling and overcoming shyness. I think most people can relate to being shy in at least certain situations. Some more so and more frequently than others, but I think we can all relate to that feeling of butterflies in our stomach when we think of doing something that instigates our professional or social fear factor. I know for me, as I relate in this episode, I was painfully shy as a child. This did carry over in to my early adult life, but I have tried to push past it over the years, and found tips and tricks like those Dr. Barton will share with us have really helped. He has authored several books, in this episode we are talking about the latest in the new “Overcoming” series- specifically “100 Ways to Overcome Shyness”.
In this episode you'll hear:
- Why shyness can be so debilitating for so many people
- Tricks for being less shy in social settings
- Why becoming less shy doesn’t mean a person changes from being an introvert to an extrovert
- Non-verbal things we can do to appear more confident
- Why it’s so important to learn to accept rejection
- How focusing on something different can divert us from our shyness in the moment
- How to recognize when we need to face our issues or get emotional help
- What a person can do in a social setting to feel more connected to others and decrease their shyness
This episode is full of practical tips!